"Be quiet Malachi" (hospital blues)
"Be quiet Malachi!"
I grew up believing that my cries made the beatings worse
I really try
They taped up my mouth when I was 5
I got yelled at & hit for talking at school
I didn't even know I was doing it
It was terrifying
& humiliating
When I was in my 20s & 30s
I was better at managing it
But also when ur younger people are more forgiving
In fact they like it
But then I wound up in 72 hours interrogation in Singapore
After stresses living in the highest murder rate in the word
Where words travel with blood
With mania
I get wound up when I'm exhausted
Hence I suffer breakdowns
That's why I write poetry
But silence is scary to me
Coz I can feel people screaming
& if someone stands up to the violence
It can be stopped
I've gotten in fights to protect people being bullied
As for me
For the first time in my life
I'm crying out in pain a lot
It gets mistaken for anger when it's hurt
Life hurts at the moment
I try to be bright & entertaining
Coz I see the child in everyone
I see the innocence
I'm an innocent
Like the Three Stooges
Like Curly like Larry & I usually get wacked by Mo
We used to have comedies about the misadventures of innocents
But our comedies these days seem cruel & cynical
Whatever happened to comedies like we had with John Candy?
Cool Runnings is harmless fun & celebratory of friendship & determination
Uncle Buck makes me cry these days
Coz that's me
A total fuck up with a kind heart
Who loves his nieces & nephews
Literal & figurative
Man it hurts to watch our world's beautiful children
Be bent into haunted shells
I wanna do something to help everyone's pain go away
But you can only help one at a time
So I wear myself thin & babble like noisy breathing
But I get every word right
Coz the culture is so judgey these days
So people stay mute
I get it
But words are beautiful for me
But they also behave as they please sometimes
& lead us into dark places
So I'll stop there & just say:
Please a bit of kindness!
No more cruelty
Please
No more needless cruelty
Somebody's laying there dying
& in the next ward a child's just been born
Published & Copyright Malachi Doyle 2026.
Comments
Post a Comment