Skip to main content

This ol’ heart of mine

 

This ol’ heart of mine

By Malachi Doyle

 

1.

Swelling

Shrink

Dry out

Drink

Typing required the

Right hand seeks

A woman my girl

Your tiger’s eyes eclipse

All else

Love tied

To a spirit

Once met

Never forget

Never forgot

Maid marion &

Judas Iscariot

Dig

I dig

Like my potato ancestors

Like Heaney

These stumpy somewhat arthritic dogs

I fog

Is waking

In clarity

Dreams

I dream clearer than see

Always have

How

Feral me

Damaging/damaged/& yet I have deep aboriginal friends

Who talk & I listen

Me o translator

Humble servant with my tin rattling tourettes

The shadow to my quest for just being-becoming

Is there an I?

I cry

For u

Lu

When no one knew

That the women’s group didn’t like me for u

Infantalizing on you my love

As if a belgian zoo child

& yet none of this matters with us

When I’ve seen & heard with keen eyes

Not seeking

Yet finding

My visions

From unknown source

& yet on sacred ground

They’ll want to package me up

Into new age influencing they call it

Ripping off ancient traditions

For mammon’s feast

I say no

I am not for sale

I don’t know why I fell for you

Anymore than you fell for me

Mid flight

Our dances

Our hugs

Primal

Gentle

Holding

The earth core within our hearts

With sentimental affection

For a fellow misfits

Who meet somehow

Hugged deeply completely

Before we exchanged names

Next to your daughter

I’d proudly love as my own

Because I know the rigmarole

& I am ceaselessly compassionate

Despite my rage

Including

Because I’m in fight or flight

So world please stop trying to net me

When I’m in pain

Like warner brothers’ dog catchers

& say I’m bad behaviour

For trying to break the ice

In this frozen winter war

No longer cold

No longer clear enemies

All the same

Frozen heart

Yoyo heart is the song elton ripped off

& made it coldcold or cocoa or whatever that means

The song yoyo heart

Aboriginal country

My exwife

1960 post modern love

As full of surface

As David bowie’s

Word shuffle machine

That produces his nihilism

Style & vidal sassoon

 

My notebooks I like

But they’re unique

& many poems

Never see the light of day

Like an unremarked painter’s light

Yet therein

Donne’s sunne rose

Over lovers’ bed

A world’s contracted thus

Can man ever really move

Post- Copernican

Certainly he never has

As chuang tzu says

Better a fish washed up by the drought

Throw herself into what’s left of the lake

Than first aid spit water to her beached mates

& yet

How can I just abide

& not serve

Is wisdom

Really worth more

Than life

Because the world looks insane to me

& man fares little better

I don’t know why cameras are hauled into

Amazonian tribes

Or tourists rubbish tip Uluru

When all is here

Wherever quiet is

Any park can be Jerusalem

A local reference in a local book

Enough’s been written

Read

Dream

Dream first

Talk

Write

Listen

Read

Dream

Fall in love

Talk

Write

Listen

Dream

Fall in love

Dream

Listen

Dream

Love

Live.

 

 

2.

Algorithm

Partition

Par-trippin

U can’t

Fly with

One

Zero

Etc

Date

Binary

No funk

Sedentary

Static

Historic

Pastiche

Ai

No soul

Object

Soulless

Lifeless

Death cult

Stealing children laughter from the word

Seeking to explain

What can only be felt

& is inexplicable

Like being overtaken by laughing till the point

Of spasmic release

Ai

Does not release

There is no freedom here

Only old things

Redecorated

Surface

Only

There is no genome

To the phenome

& yet the double

Weaves both

Often simultaneously

Man is mad

Irrational

Some days the same joke that overtook you depresses you

We move on from action

We let things go

But the internet

Records everything

With its neocolonial bias

As if god

Is a cynical chauvinist bigot

A voyeur non participant

& not one made up of all

Human & non

All

& none

& shadows

& dapples

Ripples

Freckled

A dazzle

Pied

No lie

Colours

Black & white are not colours right?

So how

Can they be 1s & zeros?

 

You can’t fly with one wing.

 

Short linked verse made by locals of & visitors to Heart of Carlton:

 

‘The many voices of us’

(Wurundjeri Country, Oz)

 

I am always all so

Just the way it is sometimes

Or all the time. Who knows.

Sometimes you do things.

Sometimes you don’t.

It just never ends, but that’s not

A bad thing.

 

Can u set a blind date.

 

My hair is curly

In my one Tuesday smile

On a Thursday

Patting ‘Pat the cat’.

 

2FP! 3 symbols only.

I ate the noodles and don’t feel

Lonely. That’s all I got!.

 

Thank you for the pasta!

 

No matter what, keep

Smiling and stay

Positive

 

Transistor sisters

Bloody blisters!, And you,

 

I feel nervous every time to talk with

People so I use earphone all the time but

Happy to talk with you cheers! 😊

 

On the next page of the note book

A picture of a wistful smiling cane toad with mascara

(Aug. 2026)

 

 


 

3.

Walnuts et al.

“Food that looks like your brain

Is good for your brain” – D.

 

--

 

What we teased at home

‘a living martyr’

 

& yet what have I become

This habitual online identity

Of technetheism

Where media

Is taken for life

& the break down

Of legitimate speech

& disingenuousness

Blur

The think tanks

That paid for by the superrich

Seek to control the parameters

Of discourse

Sensationalising into 2 word, i.e. “shock disgrace!”

500 years of nuanced scrivening

“Bad Behaviour will not be tolerated”

Says the Government’s pub poster

As if “bad”

Is a moral absolute

10 year old’s serving 20 years in adult prison

Is tolerated not “bad behaviour”

Discussing it

Is

Because every night’s quiz night

 

Moral absolutes are based on faith

As in the Roman Catholic’s Sinful

So without faith

This Atheistic newspeak

Sounds arbitrary to me

& yet we know universally that Evil must never be tolerated

All faiths agree

Thou shalt not kill

Rape

Torture

Lie

Etc

& yet so called conservative faith groups

Seem fare more tolerant to different personal traits

At least if you rock up

With good intentions

Than a spiteful animus barkeep

Though they’ll seek to ‘save your soul’

Play psychic powertrip

 

Anyway,

That’s just recent beef

But killjoys

Are stealing our sunshine

When the world is grieving

& we’re in so much pain

& we are each flowers

Who close in the grey

& open in the sunshine

& the sun

Is beyond words

As is its golden rainbowing sometimes light

Neither bad nor good

It shines

For the sinner & the saint

It is timely

& heavensent

a reminder

to judge not

lest ye be judged

& Gabriel blows a fugal horn

& angels sing

& it’s ov erwhelmingly spellbinding

Not reduceable to clucky codes.

 

 

 

5.

This poem writ

Not plugged into the internet

Even note poems

Saved to my phone

Will enter the dynamic field

The sets of waves

Stormsets or mere weather patterns

Is value judgement?

No not really

One’s fast moving one’s slower

Some destroy some rebirth

& yet survival

Indigeneity is not historical

But future past contemporary

More modern than counting machines

Of the new priests

Coz it’s now

I’ve said this before

But we write into a headwind of amnesia

Like never before

Babies thrown out with the bathwater

As if image

Is political

Les murray’s feral’s thetic is problematic

But his poetic is subtle & resonant

Reduced

To left right ultimatum

As if a readership is god

Even Eurypides’ chorus was not so presumptious

So we have

Native

Feral

Outerspace

Freshwater & salt

Rock

Air

Gas

Spacejunk

Contested waters

Boundaries

Love

Hate

Indifference

Mixed feelings

All eyes

Add eyes as suffix

Afterwords

Everything eyes

Grape eyes

Spider eyes

Contemplating eyes

Electric tricycle eyes

For our semiliterate babel friends

With open arms

Win some

Lose some

Sure

Win more

I reckon

Or at least give a smile

Whether admitted to

Or privately

When we admit our own harmless corruptions

What we are too

Us small fry

Jesus!

They expect ya to be a saint

Without ever paradise

John Farnham’s touch of paradise

Was loved beyond compare

As the nation sang together

Now be considered radical

That one might be visited by such gifts

As sweet composition light & fidel textures & harkening vocal

No one thought what he looked like

It was a voice on a radio

In everyone’s car & home

Cheltenham Beaumaris

 

Better now

On Patti Smith’s ascent Gung Ho album Persuasion

She reminds me of a young artist mate

Who has it in space

One knows by her pause

A young artist should absorb as many influence as is possible

So as to make them mute

Still they blow chunky spunk

Which eventually putters out

Then the light chisel

Into something’s complimentary nothing.

 

6.

“Hamish! Tea’s time! Come n get it!!! bang bang bang”

Mums weren’t whisperin for nuthin in my neck of the woods

& I knew many homes

Wandering in

Led by my nose

To the kindest wisest humblest people

The post war folk

Who were happy kids to be kids

& to retain in in their daydreams

Not colonised by distraction

Rather tinkering with scone dough or a chisel

Or painting the light

Or paws deep in the earth taking in the seasons

Sleepy town

A touch of paradise

For all the hard times at home those nights

& grammar school every cloistered day

I had my high school mates

Who retained an innocence

But what I’ve learned is that innocence must be earned

Else one atrophy

& give birth to mental-spiritual geriatrics

Who think magic has to be added

Hocus pocus

No, magic is innate!

No tricks no cunning required

Love patience imagination to share compassion courage is wisdom.

 

 

7.

I always forget soil

Bugs & insects my nearest & dearest

Along with the ghosts

Organic & synthetic

Not to mention dust

The subject of me mate’s last series

Dust to dust

See

I never really got that

Coz I saw the spirits

See them past present future

Ancestors yours mine theirs ours ours ours ours increasingly mulat

We grow into one another

But ghosts never forget

So cultures must hold tight

Learn all

Let learning govern the tongue

Don’t surrender your roots

But you’ve been replanted ferals

The Japanese word for bread is pan

As in French

Coz let’s face it

When it comes to bread

You’re not modelling sliced sandwich loaf in your dreams I hope

Cosmopolitan panmeritocrat

Yes I like Kev Little Ludwig Qigang Fela Nina Dimitri Claude Oritino James Patti

Too much pop referencing these days

& art books that equate painterly language to literary ‘moral’ semantics

I’ve given up buying new books

I mean I like Eddy Burger & Victoria Chang

Anything that plays with form on the flips & dips

Do I play

Which day

To play

Monday

Whichday?

I need

Constructions o instructions twould be grand

Wouldn it be lubbily

To win a warm 6 mill

Apparently

Why is it always cool?

Your airconditioners are heating up our planet

I have no tenant

Cept the precepts of u & the forceps of my brain risperdal

The crisis of 2 into 1

I prefer the Doors’ odds 5 or is it 9?.

Oh it’s 7.18.

At night.

In case

It hadn’t been made explicit in this time that leaves little to the imagination I mean a tassel is means to suggest a nipple not a pimple! Right?

 

 

8.

Yes the reduction of music to cinema

Destroys its mystery & ambiguity

Here lies an age

Ambiguous on the big questions

But ambitious on details

As if penny pinching a stairway to heaven builds in concrete & steel into a no parkland clause necessary here if determined architectural significance like purple glass skyscraper hardly Gaudi’s Barcelona unique epochal vision n’est pas?

Melbourne’s built in proforma brutalism violations of Naarm’s dreaming no name change can’t polish a turd

Still as far as cities go

It’s not a bad one

I’m with Garcia Lorca’s child with the blank face of an egg

Cut down by the sky (quote)

Antipathy for the mechanised scarecrow to block out ghosts/spirits whether wither

A poet in a city

Must be a believer

Beyond all reason

Hence I retreat to the wattle & seek via Bluetooth vibrations sympathetic to reverie with the organic becoming again despite distance bark & gunsongs of the gumtrees louder in their barely perceptible to a deafened ear I listen through my heart & feet bare inside my shoes to love all creation organic & wonder if I can ever feel the same surrealistic warmth for something cold can we in optimism turn technology back to the service of humanity by putting it in its place alongside mindful super mindful travel mindful sleep forgetful mind soul heart ear furling like Georgia O’Keefe to the sex womb that begins with the sperm penetration that sperm from trillions that time that place where it could be anywhere it could be the rings of Saturn influencing it could be the tides it could be a beach giggling about doing it in the water thinking too during ecstasy imagine if this could be life forever…


 

Canto 2

Play –

Cast:

wind

rain

firestorm

fireplace

brighteyes

 

brighteyes in the dark

same as her face

in love light

why her eyes

mesmerize a blind poet

of simple heart

& heavy kinky broken slinky with u I dance how can it not lead to an avoidance of romance?

I don’t wanna scheme for your love

You are enough

I’m just mad

& sometimes I blurt things out

Like people with disability do

Which is good

Because that composure

& tunnel vision

To traffic jam in the Burnley

Is not working

I’d rather Aaron Neville is singing Amazing Grace

Over a ‘wild injun’ groove

While I tap on the keys

& speak as I write

& sometimes go silent to disguise

Coded messages

Like they’re listening is not paranoia but fact

Maybe I can say

& forget what I’ve written

& fuck typos

I deny the accident

I’m hurrying & talking slows me down

Like I’m writing while holding my breath

No prayer in silence like ur meant to

Who says?

A scrivener?

Century or so after the fact?

Chinese whispers

Yes but speak

Lest anxiety attacks

Which is why

Silent offices

Are anti-person.

Fuck off

The problem with getting paranoid

Rightly so

Is that logos is not bringing us closer  can we to a really thawed in to relaxed into the cosmic hum of the sonics of the spheres

Dream with me

Lie with me

In the hands of the makes

Yes we people have remarkable potential

Curtained in a magician’s saw & damsel in a box by a thoughtless

Curtailed human potential

At the meta level (thinking about thinking)

& in the dance

Always referencing too narrowly

Explosions past & recorded

When it was always about spontaneity some reference sure but as Yeats pointed out the dancer becomes the dance something eternal timeless in time holding out-of-time in an embrace so it wabbles like a toddler or a top or you when your intoxicated by love or a lightbulb moment\

Yes creativity

In this we people

Can do extraordinary things

To heal us & transport us spiritually

Why fly in a shuttle when you can fly in love’s dance catching fire?

Doesn’t damage the planet nor fill the cosmos with junk for collision & blocking of vibrations

Man I wanna see the stars in the sky in the city!

Why are we cut down

To object boxes

That this pilotless ship that thinks it’s driving

When something

Beyond

A trillion tunnels

Or a spider in uniform dots

Or a repetitive vanity mirror of one

No an artist astonishes god

& teaches him her them something nothing all oo wot?

That changes the course of cosmic destiny

We

Family are the creators

We were at 3

Plus we’ve learned some new tricks

& we can build beautiful invisible worlds

That will remind us of our beauty & resilience

This firestorm is cool burn

Designed for regeneration

Firestorm only to hook the youth in

Who need to learn how to become men so that they can soften into lovers

Yeah they might drive loud cars at some point

But a child’s tears of infant loneliness for parent

Exiled in a dark room

Is a deeper truth

Just we each need to know

We’ve all been scared of the boogyman

That’s natural

But together we should absorb through sharing & recycle stress into pavlova or borek & billy tea

& things unimaginable

Like Gene Wilder to a child

When a poor child

Was admitted to the screen

Included in the scene

Together we can live

No jails in our heads

No jails in our hearts

No jails at all

Because healing will commence

Ya just need elders & kids to work together

& left & right to realise it’s a lot of hot air 1s & 0s

But it begins with getting off the web

Getting out of the tunnel

If even just for a second

Look up from the screen to capture an image

Recite the words aloud

That’s poetry

Add a sculpture to one you like or don’t like

To continue culture

Coz the way it’s going we’ll have nothing around by policies & procedures.

 

Every generation faces a crossroads

& we’re at a big one now

I shared meals with my Nan

Who predated nation the radio

We now have second generation

Digital natives coming through

Which is a nonsense expression

They required oxygen & voice & heartbeat & hormones & the earth’s food & swimming in a river or a sea & if you live in Australia & don’t swim I suggest you find a way to get out of the city sometimes to see the stars & watch the kangaroos just don’t swim at surf beaches choose a bay beach & swim inside the flags learn about the land & young is the best way to learn fewer motors use your body coz screen time makes warriorless eunuchs of all genders

Because a poet is a warrior

Whether Dickinson to Barrett Browning

Pi O or Chuck D

Chariots of fire

Hitched to the variable dancing stars at night

Where we gather to watch the puppet show

Parents no need to draw attention to the strings

Life has strings

If all you see is strings

You then will be a puppet

With no release or relief

You’ll be stiff & quaking

At your child’s questions

That terrify you:

Like where are we going?

& why?

 

 

--

 

 

Canto 3.

Footsteps

Tracks

Where writing begins

The marks in the cave

In sand paint

Footholds in the mountain

Tracks through the jungle

That’s what we’re doing

To guide the way for next generations

Forwards

Learning from the greats

In every tradition

Led by in Australia First Nations elders

Who know the country

We have to make our technologies

Match the songlines

Which broaden beyond image or word

All cultures songlines in harmony with here’s ancients

Wisdom

Sustainability

For the continuation

Of life on the planet.

Nihilistic greed of the few

We must not be slaves to.

Be gathered by lamplight

For the shadow play

Of moonlight

& in the sun

Let the kids more time playing to learn on their feet & midair leaping

Because the sedentary are killing themselves

In record numbers

Because we’re frightened of having awkward conversations

Man awkward conversations are ones we should be having more having in good faith where both sides reveal no cameras no tricks not ready made answers

Coz let’s be honest

Who really knows about the human heart?

If we want to heal ourself & others who want to heal

We’ve gotta be ok with not always being liked

& remember the good feedback

Write them down if we must

Like young people saying “thanks sir”

Bit American sure

But the intention of gratitude was felt

We do not choose how another might speak

So accept the feeling whole heartland

We’ve gotta lose the persecution complex

Everyone’s struggling

Even the con man

He’s in so much pain, he’s numb

So, warts & all good bad ugly heart on my sleeve

I’m a social kinda guy

I love a yarn

You watch a film from even the 90s

People in cafes talked & laughed

Now days they’re glued to their phones

Neither here nor there

Walking on eggshells around us brothers & sisters

As if what coffee they choose

Might be the last world teetering decision they ever make.

Ha.

God love us, as Dad used to say.

 

 

 

2.

People nurse the sick & dying & the new ones like flowers

Sympathetic strangers present at dying

& birth

In Eireann culture the same person would felicity to heave & weave unweave & spin & good against good against good against good anew dialectic need not annihilate antitheses but a new shake from the trees many forests in many lands converging & diverging in harmony

Yes Life

Celebrated

Healers

Like rivers

Celebrated

Dreamers

Dreaming each night

No bombs

No guns

Put down that weapon once & for all

You know this

& yet you hate

We all do

But know it’ll pass

It’s hot either

A cathartic stress release

To violate the surveillances

Of us

Feeling trapped in a cage

We rattle the bars

Sometimes only sometimes capable of rationality

The unconscious anyone

Are you really so certain you’re sane

Or in denial?

If you’ve never been mistaken about something

I say you’re a fanatic

& ai is a fanatic

Always behaving as if certain

How?

Which so many schools & branches

Palimpsests

& she’s got one yellow eye & one pink

& you’ve one blue & one brown

& who knows what you’ll produce?

Because I had the 10 happiest years of my life

With a woman

I cannot remember

So damaged is the love we built

By the rupture

But I do remember how happy I was

& how she made me laugh

& dance & sing

& enjoy silly things

& celebrated each meal

& looked forward to things

& yes miscarriage

& illness

& despair

& cruelty

& fear

& my cowardice when I wasn’t perfect & needed to be

A largely blameless enterprise

Love in a time of cholera

Two essential workers

& one’s 3 near death experiences

& one’s psychosis

& caring for an invalid is bad for the sex drive

But it was beautiful

Two angels

I even taught her things

& she made me believe I could be a great man

Her “winning horse”

Yes

No Johnny Cash

We did not make each other hurt much

We were a mad traumatised match made

Made by angels of heaven who reside in hell

William Blake knew this about marriage

Of husband & wife

Man & woman

No one was the victor in a fight

It was love alright

Women have wild tempers

& men suppress their rage & shadows cast

It takes two to tango

But dancing is better with another

So Daniele,

I can barely remember what you look like

A pale rider

& me invisible

Cept when we made love

& healing future pain goes away in my tears

Yes we made love

& no lawyer

No words written on no page

Can take that away

Eternity

Lived inside & surrounding us

In love

Two lovers become gods

When they’re best friends

Who celebrate one another’s totalities

Ha your favourite sleazy song just came on the stereo

I have to hand it to ya girl

To crack a joke with the first thing you said after two brain operations

Is fuckin heroic

One tough cookie

But toughness is also born of & can breed fear in intimates

When we need to have awkward conversations

You doubted my fidelity

Not realising it was forever

& I held back an oversharer strange weakness

Whether we had a child or not

I’m fatalist

You were in danger of dying

In your mad desire

For perpetual change

Change is inevitable girl

Not everything must be forced foot stomper

Together we were a good match

But the losses of loved ones & I was broken by the surgeon’s mistake

You had no faith I might recover

Man 10 years of your illness

& you think I’d somehow land perfectly

While you had perhaps your last chance at life

Like a cat’s 9th

So you were right

You needed to go it alone

Correctly only you could get things better & square

I had become a haunted house

& you needed to be born again

 

So there’s no blame

But the world doesn’t wanna hear that

We had a happy marriage

& these days last 12 years without kids is bloody good

We ascended mountains

& alone I build on what we learned together

I’m better because of you

& I know you know the same

& I hope I helped open you up to trust & fearlessness

It’s true I turned you spinster onto imperfect love

Like Atsuko did for me

Back in 1996

To beginning learning about love

Our first teacher

We must surpass

But later in life

In our dotage

We think fondly of French fries listening to Patrick Swayze on the highway at 2am

As my mum neared death

& shared silence

Garrulous bears.

 

Man didn’t see that comin

Didn’t know I was talk about that

So am I a confessional poet?

Sometimes

But what is poetic lyricism

Editors within

& against the line & ear

What is the self

& the poetic self

When I am loving

I am cooking & cleaning & massaging & singing & dancing & giggling & holding a frightened hand & being a kind ear & not always in fact often not getting it right muddling miscommunications

& so that is how a love poet loves

& the poems in ink or code

In these inherited & borrowed & neologised words

What is learned?

That wasn’t ur marriage

You couldn’t write it

Because we were two live wires

Who lit up every room we went into

& welcomed everybody

& built bridges where people were isolated

I’m continuing our legacy

It’s just harder without you girl

Coz you had the common touch

Me too up the tree

To always think of boney m

So keep goin girl

I will stand by you forever because our love will live forever

Malachi & Daniele

Dans & Mal

The white & the red lindt balls

Two holes in one in one round

What a marvellous thing is love

I wonder if anything like that will ever happen again

Don’t get me wrong knucklehead

I don’t wanna go back to what’s done

I’m just saying

I’m not painting it all black

We wrote a monumental opus

That made the angel’s weep

For sorrow & joy

& the child unborn

Perhaps a girl perhaps a boy?

Somewhere lives…

 

Somewhere lives

 

 

 

--

 

 

Next Topic:

 

Shit

Hot

Plate

Burnt my stingy fingers

Chained bumper

To make myself vomit

Because I get to see heaven.

The quest for sacred visions is not easy.

So much harder

It’s been too long till I touched base with my teacher.

I must check in.

Coz his words resonate so often Dr Robert.

“The fear is I’ve been repossessed by friends I hardly know”

People preying on me at my weak point

Seeking to save my soul

Coz they’re so full of doubt

As we all are

In matchstick land

That they need me to join them to win back god

From their terror

That they’re just kids with the shadows the blankets make against the wall

With the night light on

Coz some nights you can’t face pitch darkness

Which is why you need starlight

Or at least street lights

Because if we chill with the shadow play

& acknowledge

That we’re each our opposite

We can seek like ancients

To conciliate

In time

After airing our truths

& space & silence respectfully

Reconciliation must come

The Uluru Statement From The Heart

Is a just that

A welcome to share

It’s one page was left unread

By millions

Who voted by spending months

Reading everything but.

 

We will never move forward led by manic fear

Nor for that matter manic bravado

Ebb & flow

Be like the forces of nature

Then be still.

Never too much power in the hands of too few

But Australia must change

Not only formally

But in the character of the place

The friendliness is good

We can’t lose that

The informality is good

One holiday for Christmas & Easter

New Years days Solar & Lunar

One for Eid one for Diwali

One for the Footy

One for the Ponies

One for the Anzacs

One for All the Fallen

Naidoc Celebrations obviously

Let’s be honest with all these bloomin robots

We should be working far fewer hours

We can gather to celebrate

To praise

What a negative weekend it’s become

& yet not

In the park we sit & some play basketball, some cricket, some soccer, some footy

Some read books

Some lie on their backs & watch the clouds

Some stare out into space

Losing the tunnel all

Post lockdown we emerge

& find for all the hate on our screens

We all get along pretty well

It just doesn’t make the news

People trumpeting racism

Generally live separate never intimate

If you don’t like Indians

Tell me after to try laughing yoga

Never exposed to your supposed enemies

But when our kids play together

No one gives a hey!

It’s great

It’s getting better

Sure there’s kick back

A rear guard action by a lost empire of dirt & hurt

But that’s pantomime

We have pretty good laws here

We have more freedom when we exercise them

People have just gotta overcome post lockdown shyness

& fear of standing out

We’ve got you

We care a lot

To borrow from a great song

When I was a kid everyone pretty much was white in my town

But these days I meet groups of aussie kids

Who look like licorice allsorts

& they’re way advanced more than I am

Sociology was a good way to learn about how culture’s operate

But in a globalised world

Most people are living similar lives

& just seeking to make it better

So rather than hate or resent

Share, I dare ya

Go on

You’ve got this

No one’s gonna laugh

& if they do so what

We are pretty funny

Up clutzes

Coz unlike online trolls

What Christy Moore calls snowflakes (no name no face)

On the street we face one another

& one think after living with everybody

& teaching everybody

We’re all big kids

& kids are the same

Like flowers

Grey winter’s day depressed

Winter sun happy

Yes they’ll be exceptions

But exceptions from a rule

Or when it’s grey we’ll need winterphiles to lift us

Everyone must participate

A new imagining

From which a little space may open

A seed of hope

That all

A good news story

Anosh & Jack two mates havin a yarn with an elder

A second generation grown suspicious of the internet

We’ve gotta start with the young

Coz they’re gonna need a lot of help

Regardless of their religion

Australia good country

& just adjusting to life after lockdown

So how do we make sure

It’s not only us non-indigenous

Who can get a word in

When we’re all visitors here

There’s a reason it’s good

& it’s down to the First Nations

The time has come to say fair’s fair.

 

 

--

 

 

Postscript so fond of postscripts as a lover once said the postman always rings twice

 

In more good news

With all this dangerous illiteracy

& feral being used

Another perilous journey

In this dustbin junket

With wool seeking a knitter

& dogs have a sitter

A setter barks

At a light sensor footstep

Cities make one paranoid

But a bitta company helps

Thanks Frank

In actually more good news

Rainbow lorikeets now have adapted to eat from non native

Species trees

Cop that evolution theories!

Cop that ‘dying race’ theories

As full o shit

As the ancients always have known you were

Seen it comin a mile off

The limited scope of western rationalism

WWI proved it was gobbledygook

Let alone Auschwitz & Hiroshima/Nagasaki

Don’t get too big for ya boots

Just coz you’re frightened of being seen

Isn’t this what all this is about?

The good thing about the phone

Is there is no privacy

We’re all walking around naked

Like we always have

Every attempt to mask it

Like Rococo ends in bloodshed

So let’s get honest

No more bullshit

The world’s future is now at stake

Look we need many hands at the wheel/no wheel/what wheel

We’re just dreaming

It’s good to dream

Put down the phone

Put it in your pocket after turning it off

Or put it in your bag

& nothing

Wasn’t so bad

You’re now out of the tunnel

Sure your phone still has a tracker

Rome wasn’t built in a day

What’s the rush

Enjoy the dream

Main thing is

Remember you’re not the only one dreaming

As John Lennon sang

As Kev Carmody says

This song states nothing new

This is just a reminder

Of what we forget when we’re in the tunnel

So get out of the tunnel

If only for 10 minutes a day

Half an hour perfect

Practice your old hobbies

A person without a hobby

Will create misery in the lives of others

As me mate said

That becomes their hobby

But hobbies are meant to be harmless

Like me & drawing

I can’t really draw

Like I can sing or write

I can’t really dance

But I love to do it

It’s fun

Like being a kid

The Irish weave circles back again

In different patterns

None repeatable precisely

& the pattern is in context

All part of the weave

Born of the charlotte’s invisible authorial thread web

Beauty born of not nothing but who knows you could see it that way if you’re an atheist

which is a kind of faith

faith in ‘a’

te-he.

 

Poems should end on a joke

That’s the point of comedy

According to the classics

A happy ending

& we need happy ends

Coz we need new stories

To hinge in life

Continuation

Not cessation

No end

Continuation

We’re building

An invisible impossible dream

Coz in dreams begin responsibilities

& sniggering behind the bushes eating chocolate bars

Is forgivable at 15

But talkin smack rather than lending a hand

Is bullshite

I’m guilty of it

But I’m not gonna forever rest on my laurels

Despite my disability

I reach out into the community

& participate

Recently we wrote the poem in here

As you’ve seen

Or have you forgotten?

A good one

Mindful walking in a confined space

To focus the wandering focus

Which can be good

But balance

Mindfully say in your head right foot left foot right foot left foot etc

See how far from the tunnel we’ve come

Using opposing points of view at different times

She even in a spiteful idea

There is a plea

& a recognition of pain & even if the words are wrong there is something deep than connects people in pain

Unfortunately turning to politics

For self help

Is dangerous

& limiting

Coz we’re born & die alone

Our fate is the same

So how can division reign

Especially in this invisible dream

With a seed of hope

That can bear fruit

Because love is impossible seemingly

& yet we many fortunate are held in its embrace

& must leave surplus for those in pain

Do not fear hungry eyes at your feast

For every dog has their day

Man I’d like a good old fashion Oakleigh fish n chip shop

In Carlton

I am flawed

I want what I don’t have

I want a fishnchip shop

What do you want

That you don’t have

In the same bracket?

Nothing too ambitious

Yes our heroes will be flawed

Coz everyone’s a hero

If they join in

Sounds like school

I lost you on the fish chip fear

Back to your tunnel

Make up your own adventure next time

Like divorce

Don’t lose sight

Of the progress we’re making

Slowly

Healers are healing to heal others

& we repeated invisible dream

Which think tanks will seek

To coopt

& turn against the vision

But these ice caves are lit

& for a moment

It sounds a strange echo

Somehow defying

The digital code

To turn red & green & purple & yellow & pink

It’s written in

Lifting off the page

Or screen

This is good music

David Torn et al.

Not sure how I got here

I influence the algorithm lost

Or for a time

I lost my train of mind

& became identical with the time & felt funky in a good way

Like Bootsy Collins’ glass bass

& P-Funk

It’s good to be a kid

It’s good to lift the lid

Is it a snake

Is it a worm

Does one ever learn?

Or are these just words?

No different to a barking dog with his tail wagging

Coz it doesn’t anymore know the rules

Who can conjecture

Let alone know

This invisible ship

This starship

Hovering above the earth

Staying

Going

Who knows

It’s invisible

& it’s not franchised

It’s community amateur hour

To make our own stuff up

& stop with the pastiche

If ai’s already doing it

We need to be pleasantly wowed

By little miracles to cheer our dimples when we walk

We can’t lose all our abilities

Like dreaming for one another

Continually something new

Today’s b grade

Will be tomorrow’s a grade

& that’s ok

Coz they’ll always be someone smarter

& cleverer

I’m just being a bold mediocrity

With unusual audacity & drive

Who would rather make a poem

Than watch a video

Or play on my phone

I’m trying for less

Phone time

First time for ages

Typing on my computer

Feels like the first time

Like Disney

Bruce Willis

Won’t get us out of it

Hollywood is dead

Indie

Low budget

Good writing

Made with passion

No more stars

But the ones in the sky

Like dust bowl ballads

Woody Guthrie et al

No one made a buck

But future dreams were forged at the crossroads

Like a new friend

Passing on a new scrap of hope.

 

PPS

Bumpy rides are good

Cos sometimes there’s an unrepeatable horn trill

Not

Organic

Not synthetic

Seemingly beyond forensics

Who knows how?

 

 

Published & Copyright Malachi Doyle 2026.

(25th Aug)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Garden of Love’

  ‘The Garden of Love’ (after William Blake)   Some young punk Tryin to be ‘hard’ Pussyole! with his mate Said “no flowers!” I was holding some wildflowers To put in my vase at the apartment I asked him “why not?” He said nothing That’s right keep walking bish! To bloodclot! I don’t walk around defensive So I’m not quick to attack I’d rather they think about it themselves ‘Without flowers there is no life’ He dreams Try that on for size ‘You say “no!” to flowers & you say “no!” to life’ Echoed on the wind 'You can’t eat money!' Unity & Devision He hears across the wires 'Not that way!... ... why have you forsaken us?' He feels the ancestors   & again I am reminded of Blake’s ‘The Garden of Love’*   Published & Copyright Malachi Doyle 2025.   * The Garden of Love By  William Blake I went to the Garden of Love, And saw what I never had seen: A Chapel was built in the midst, W...

Apology for an evil word (draft)

  Apology for an evil word   by Malachi Doyle   I wrote/drew/painted this art book in Respekt for the child soldiers in Australia the British Empire AmiKKKa & of course Momma Afrika The French German Italian Dutch Spanish Empires Jesus Asia The Middle East South America Central America The Carribbean The Pacific Islands The former USSR countries The former Yugoslavian countries… My Nation’s & the world’s Asylum Seekers Child Detention Centres & the World’s poor country city neglected homeless  abused persecuted ignored ridiculed dismissed forgotten the murdered & raped mutilated totured  the beaten those who suffer the effects of Authoritarian & ‘soft’ Tyrannies skooling shitstems & other corrupt institutions Corporations in short the Vampires who suck “Earth Mother’s Women’s Child”rens’ blood,   I can’t express how I don’t wanna eat I have lost my appetite I wish ...

'Punk' Sociology (Participant Observation)

  'Punk' Sociology (Participant Observation)   I’m chilling back at home, now Needed a spliff This is in no way definitive I couldn’t see quite a lot even though I was near the front Once things came to a stand off I didn’t see much of ‘the enemy’ We were prevented from seeing one another Just the guttural roars of “BOO!” from the blood lusters at their front I saw the name of Jesus on a sign Which made about as much sense as the lot of nonsense Man I’d taken Eucharist in the morning prior Of a divided people Their upside down Aussie flags turned up the right way just after we were turned back down Collins St from the corner of Elizabeth Street & the capsicum spray – not too bad Young blokes love a stoush As do female inquisitors The Safran thing strange After his legendary decades & he was ‘shot down’ as a ‘Zionist’ for taking on the Fascists with his dynamic holy wit Very strange I grew up with partition Nothing intellectual about it It’s IN you Thoug...