Chess is a game
(For M.)
(a mere poem following on from the Modern 'Blackbirding' piece which no one seemed very interested in)
I’m the wrong kind of white
& you’re the wrong kind of
black
Said one pawn to another
No one cares what we think
Or whether the game is fixed
Who’s gonna be interested enough
To agitate for change
The officer class far from the
front lines?
What would they gain from it
We live in an age of self
interest
& we can only do one kind of
black at a time
& it sure as hell won’t be a
pawn
Maybe a bishop would get a write
up
But ours is an atheist’s age
Maybe a knight
But the animal cruelty people
have poo-pooed horse riders
A king & a queen might have
a chance
But that’s always mere gossip
Anyway they’re already rich
Though nowhere near as powerful
as corporations
Leaving only the rook
Real estate is where it’s at
Property
The only piece worth writing
about
Is an inanimate object
& I am the wrong kind of
white to write it
No one will publish me
I’m too damaged
Too crazy with PTSD
I'm too wild
& can only move one space at
a time
Sure the first move is two
& there’s the theoretical
potential for me to be a queen
But I die in the process
Like poor old Diana
The same goes for you my old
friend
You are the wrong kind of black
to be written about
You’ll have to find a rich
benefactor
But then you’ll have to betray
your people
& play the self interest
game like Snoop
It’s every piece for itself
these days
& chess is not a game of one
side against another
It’s a game of protect the rich
& screw the rest
& if one pawn makes it
through the game
Then that’s the pin up carrot
To advertise the capitalist myth
to the pawn class
To keep them docile
Who in some games
May dress in interesting
patterns
But still they’ll be
pawns
One move at a time
Sacrificed to keep the rich
protected
You’re the wrong kind of black
& I’m the wrong kind of
white
Published & Copyright
Malachi Doyle 2024.
Comments
Post a Comment