Coming off alcohol
Coming off alcohol
Best go to bed
As the chemicals in the brain
Shift
Endure the dizziness
The light headedness
& the light sensitivity
I’m cheering for myself
For the first time in my life
For too long
I’ve been mistreating myself
Punishing myself that my trauma
Is largely vicarious: nearest and dearest
For my whole life
I’ve been in different carer roles
My wife, aging people, as a school teacher
Counselling my father
In the shower from 2 & 3 years of age
On why beating the family was unacceptable
& that he must cease
He must change his ways
I had to tread so carefully around his rage
Firm but acting calm
Riding his mood cycle
Like Herbert Simmons
A boy into “…Man walking on eggshells”
And eventually it worked
Nevertheless I was only struck twice in the face
So survivor guilt
The others fared so much worse
Mixed with my complex of severe mental illnesses
I’ve disguised it well
A heady mix
But the body is punished.
Fear not a change for the better
It is in your hands
As if my best friend was speaking to me
(most have died):
“Darling Malachi
I’m sorry for abusing you
For mistreating you
You deserve better
You’re a good man”
My words to myself in the toilet
Looking upwards through the filtered light
I really needed
To hear those words…
Published & Copyright Malachi Doyle 2023.
Comments
Post a Comment