Skip to main content

An Ode to Annoyance

 

An Ode to Annoyance

 

Filled with cortisol I need exercise

But I’m injured

So I’m fucked

I can sing a bit

That’s ok

But poetry is tense

Particularly with a blank screen

Staring at you

& so I use a notepad

& scribble old skool

But it’s just jibber jabber

My house is the house of many boxes

I don’t throw them out

Coz I’ll be moving soon

But a drunk struggles to get his shit together enough

To bring a shopping bag with him

& so he collects another box

To put his groceries in

See what I mean

Jibber jabber

& there’s always someone

With a power tool

I conjecture that they could make them

A lot quieter

But deliberately

They make them louder

To lend an air of importance to their labours

I’ve done better today

I cleaned the kitchen

& did a load of washing

All of it done in a bad temper

Which is a sin

I believe one should treat such work

As a prayer

Does the guy with the power tool

See his work as a prayer?

If so it’s a bloody loud one

& sounds rather infernal

This note pad writing

Is a great deal more fun than typing

You just write

1 doz eggs

400 g leg ham

Etc

There’s a fly on my arm

& you’re annoying

As are these boxes

Which are poorly stacked

Kind of falling over

It looks like a good drying day

Now the fly is on my foot

The injured one

I think I’ll close the other window

The power tool sounds like a giant

Vomiting brake fluid

2 days till I brave the Christmas Eve traffic

From the country to city

& through the city to the suburbs

The whole purpose being to swim in the bay

My Christmas treat to myself

I’m not sure if the fly

Will come with me

& if I should pack a small towel for him?

Maybe pack one of my boxes for him

A bit of jam, an opened banana, some watermelon

He can have a bit of my ham

He might enjoy a change of scenery

Get him down to the beach

He might pick up a beach babe

& have a good time?

That’s the plan anyway

To cleanse the sound of the power tools

Off me

& get covered in salt water

 

 

Published & Copyright Malachi Doyle 2024.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apology for an evil word (draft)

  Apology for an evil word   by Malachi Doyle   I wrote/drew/painted this art book in Respekt for the child soldiers in Australia the British Empire AmiKKKa & of course Momma Afrika The French German Italian Dutch Spanish Empires Jesus Asia The Middle East South America Central America The Carribbean The Pacific Islands The former USSR countries The former Yugoslavian countries… My Nation’s & the world’s Asylum Seekers Child Detention Centres & the World’s poor country city neglected homeless  abused persecuted ignored ridiculed dismissed forgotten the murdered & raped mutilated totured  the beaten those who suffer the effects of Authoritarian & ‘soft’ Tyrannies skooling shitstems & other corrupt institutions Corporations in short the Vampires who suck “Earth Mother’s Women’s Child”rens’ blood,   I can’t express how I don’t wanna eat I have lost my appetite I wish ...

Win ugly

  Win ugly I win ugly for some bloody reason I win ugly Life’s like footy Playin into the wind Some days you act like you wish it was over Some days you get the word from the coach & you take it in your stride Though you know ur only D grade Who thought you could play ruck rover & play a ruddy blinder Who thought you had it in ya? Not even ur mother Where did that come from? For you to walk like a king who knew you could sing? About pawning ur weddin ring When ur alone You ain’t nothin but alone Just don’t scam yourself Though u can’t get any help Yes I win ugly I like it in the wet Like a 10 year old boy Drawing with a stick in the dirt Go in hard & you don’t get hurt But a wise man once scribbled The hard is overcome by the soft Like stone in water Like watching a child’s first steps One day in the sun Feelin so privileged to have been there How’d you get so lucky? Ya win ugly Ya win ugly Ya win ugly Worth the price of admission To this valley of tears Coz every now ...

In short, sharing versus selfishness

  In short, sharing versus selfishness   I have heard about The Yolngu people & gasped & sighed & dreamed & with my kite Tacked with & against the wind; Here in Dja Dja Wurrung country, Returning, Solitude for the Yolngu people Is prohibited It’s reason of ‘sorcery’ Offered Pride & closed heartedness Stunting & ending wisdom Without love, So much the better is Living communally on Country, The sounds of Nature: Birds animals water frogs Wind trees & bushes Yarnin & laughter: Relaxed, Part OF country, Not straining adrift to Examine & stand apart, & so, I write here Amongst friends, The sounds of The sitting room Food prepared, The birds the frogs A rabbit to be Air rifle shot & eaten People walkin & talkin & A sneeze The click tick Of finished oyster shells In the fireplace Chewing noises Pottery, Life in good Company Cooperation ...