Skip to main content

Journal from a hike to the Gardens & back

 

Journal from a hike to the Gardens & back

 

The following was written at the conclusion of a walk from my home to the Castlemaine Botanical Gardens & round the gardens’ loop. A distance of some 9 kilometres. I have become fat after my marriage breakup & the death of my father, the end of my teaching days involving a flare with my psychiatric condition. Blah blah. Anyway, it’s Spring! & it’s delightful to walk, following on from some of my literary heroes who walked a great deal – walking also promotes a fecundity of mind. The following was written in sequence upon returning hot, sweaty & liberated; & concluded with drinking 150 ml of Japanese vodka, which combined with the endorphin hit of the walk has left me happily fallow for a moment. & so I am typing up what was hand written. Hack work.

I write after the greatest Haiku poet Matsuo Basho, who trekked in rice sandals thousands of kilometres through often mountainous regions in the 17th Century, promoted by his Zen-like wish to become a “weather exposed skeleton.”

I write haiku, tanka & prose (poetry sometimes).

 

--

 

Here we begin

In order

The conclusion

 

--

 

How long

After each stage

Of his epic treks

Did Basho wait

To compose his haiku?

 

--

 

Gangsta walk

Chafe

Bloody toes –

Electrified

 

--

 

At that very moment

The men from the

Nearby prison

Raised their voices

In a war-like chant

Over the scape

 

--

 

Blood chilling cry

What a brutalizing process!

Steel bars

To a once child

 

--

 

Next door to me, two small children were playing under the supervision of their mother, oblivious to the cries of the men just down the road.

 

--

 

Children raising

Their voices

With their mother

 

--

 

What is tone?

How/why does it affect us?

 

--

 

P.A. announces LOCK DOWN

At H.M.S. Lodden

 

--

 

Feelings are rarely

One thing

 

--

 

Having loved each of the school students I taught in my former profession, I well know that some of these children by now have already, or will serve time in prison. As a recent teacher disillusioned with the institution, I am well aware of how important early intervention for a child on a certain trajectory with someone with whom they have rapport with is. Teachers spend roughly 1000 hours with each of their students in the course of a year, however, policies are such that experienced & educated elders are forbidden to make those key REACH OUTS to identified children. Generally, these children are victims of family &/or social conditions, psychological factors, & a gutless education shitstem leaves key personal learning too late when the maladjusted now adult runs into ‘The big boys from the law’ or indeed organized crime. The cost is terrible. Often spanning generations.

 

--

 

If only I had’ve been able

To have a coke

A game of pool

& a straight talk

With ya xx

 

--

 

Haikus fail damaged people –

Too simple

 

--

 

 

Published & Copyright Malachi Doyle 2024.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a very unorthodox way

  In a very unorthodox way # (For Max Sometimes) In a very unorthodox way, I’m an Irish Catholic. Of course, in terms of Belfast politics that MEANS something. & while that maybe true – in Australia, for different reasons, as Fr Bob Maguire put it – when Mary first saw Jesus walking out of the tomb on day 3 of his death, she exclaimed “JESUS!!!” – the first time his name was used as a swear word. In that way of an irreverent joke, REVERENTIAL & ORTHODOX are not my way to the Sacred/Love*. For me – I’m not really into Theology – as Max Sometimes quoting me, quoting my mate Richard, quoting Bob Marley, quoting Rasta elders, said today “who feels it knows it.” & I believe that if I am to write my Mass/Symphony of Hope/Love, I must include at least one blasphemous hymn, else the vision depicted be simplistic, like George Handel’s Messiah. The Hope/Love represented or perhaps alluded to (if you prefer) must include genuine despair, dejection, transgression else it be

Anagram Schizophrenia In a Numbing Society/Oppression

  Anagram Schizophrenia In a Numbing Society/Oppression   This has gotta come off this band aid’s gotta come off. I’m exhausted. After 52 years of struggle. “Bent out of shape by society’s pliers” to borrow from Dylan. Violence in the womb. Violence from birth. Violence in school. Going to live in the place with the highest murder rate in Europe. Living in a flophouse there. Putting out fires. Literally & figuratively. The literal one that saved everyone’s life in that house. 10 people's lives I saved. Being around generally. Being around. Getting to know people at the bottom. Getting to know people on the ‘wrong side’ of the law Getting to know people on the ‘right side’ Who all jammed together. Rival gang members at my house. Being given a black bandana. A 'hood pass'. Protecting a teenage boy being beaten up by his 6ft 6 Russian stepfather. You know… Friends getting beaten up Friends getting killed   Then what was d

An Australian funeral 2024

  An Australian funeral 2024 Urn scattering Irish ashes Australian Irish son Australian Jamaican chief mourner Pelicans present The visiting witnesses: Random assortment of fishermen Seagulls both native & non Boaties hosing off their hulls Nice waving guy Frenchman who told strange story Retiring to Funk & Reggae Herb white rum & okra steamed with salt Getting deep Riffing on Tripping Still despite the fact that I’m tripping you’re tripping they’re tripping Tripping Tripping You’re tripping etc Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1742) “Man is born free Yet everywhere in chains” This IS a WELL established fact Yet still the ignorant are in power & not solely Still people pull the chains to their conditionally adjusted above maximul pull I’m tripping  Chief Mourner unable to tell story Son cackling like a hyena  Angry neighbour on hands free  Chief mourner recovers his flow “I ain’t mad at you” Delivers vocal trip drop Published & Copyright Malachi Doyle 2024.