Skip to main content

The Town Hall Hotel, North Melbourne - 'The Townie'

 

The Town Hall Hotel, North Melbourne

 

Sorry Jonny,

I write better than this, but I got on the piss when I saw your website.

The Townie, what it means to me.

I started going there immediately after my ex-wife walked out.

I went each night to the Townie straight after work, walking from the CBD for a period of 90 days.

20 more than 70 if you like.

It was magically half way home.

It was back at the start of the century

And Jonny was playing live music concert DVDs

I particularly remember the Motley Crue video for some reason

Somehow Vince Neil suits Jonny’s drollness

Like some Viennese Rococo Count

Stumbled forward a couple of hundred years.

The Townie was also the site of my band’s first gig

10 years after I quit music for poetry.

Divorce will do that.

You need to make some %^$in noise.

The Townie took me into rock and punk and post-punk and punk-blues and rock.

The staff were always RocknRoll.

I remember seeing Conway Savage in the back bar

Deliever 2 incredible shows on piano.

Then the Stones came to town

And it seemed possible Keith & Ronnie might walk in.

I think I did something interesting out the back

So maybe they did.

In cognito.

They sought out Joey

For some home delivered truths.

Tess McKenna and I played a spot before the plebiscite

And the pub was an Agora

A lot of things were and have been healed.

Jonny says it best.

Jonny sings it best.

I’ve just been looking at your website.

It kept me company during yet another lockdown.

Johnny dancing to some 60s Oz garage rock.

Whenever I get to be present I lose myself in the spirit, the history, the present, the future of rocknroll.

Young musos, get down there and test out your chops

It’s always a fair crowd.

I’ve had so many great bar chats with faces I’ve never seen before.

It’s a wonderful blur.

Good tucker too.

The best Coopers on Tap, it’s really something

In a bottle no, but tap, MAN!

I tend to eat vego when I’m on the sauce.

Jonny’s presence is magisterially down-to-earth

He makes a night feel like an event.

So many good times.

Friends.

Lovers.

I pray for many more.

Get down there.

Town Hall Hotel.

33 Errol Street, North Melb.

I’ve committed that to memory.

They say it heightens that!

I so won that Mick Jagger karaoke!

What was Patrick Donovan thinking?!

 

http://townhallhotelnorthmelbourne.com.au/index.html


MFM 2021.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apology for an evil word (draft)

  Apology for an evil word   by Malachi Doyle   I wrote/drew/painted this art book in Respekt for the child soldiers in Australia the British Empire AmiKKKa & of course Momma Afrika The French German Italian Dutch Spanish Empires Jesus Asia The Middle East South America Central America The Carribbean The Pacific Islands The former USSR countries The former Yugoslavian countries… My Nation’s & the world’s Asylum Seekers Child Detention Centres & the World’s poor country city neglected homeless  abused persecuted ignored ridiculed dismissed forgotten the murdered & raped mutilated totured  the beaten those who suffer the effects of Authoritarian & ‘soft’ Tyrannies skooling shitstems & other corrupt institutions Corporations in short the Vampires who suck “Earth Mother’s Women’s Child”rens’ blood,   I can’t express how I don’t wanna eat I have lost my appetite I wish ...

Win ugly

  Win ugly I win ugly for some bloody reason I win ugly Life’s like footy Playin into the wind Some days you act like you wish it was over Some days you get the word from the coach & you take it in your stride Though you know ur only D grade Who thought you could play ruck rover & play a ruddy blinder Who thought you had it in ya? Not even ur mother Where did that come from? For you to walk like a king who knew you could sing? About pawning ur weddin ring When ur alone You ain’t nothin but alone Just don’t scam yourself Though u can’t get any help Yes I win ugly I like it in the wet Like a 10 year old boy Drawing with a stick in the dirt Go in hard & you don’t get hurt But a wise man once scribbled The hard is overcome by the soft Like stone in water Like watching a child’s first steps One day in the sun Feelin so privileged to have been there How’d you get so lucky? Ya win ugly Ya win ugly Ya win ugly Worth the price of admission To this valley of tears Coz every now ...

In short, sharing versus selfishness

  In short, sharing versus selfishness   I have heard about The Yolngu people & gasped & sighed & dreamed & with my kite Tacked with & against the wind; Here in Dja Dja Wurrung country, Returning, Solitude for the Yolngu people Is prohibited It’s reason of ‘sorcery’ Offered Pride & closed heartedness Stunting & ending wisdom Without love, So much the better is Living communally on Country, The sounds of Nature: Birds animals water frogs Wind trees & bushes Yarnin & laughter: Relaxed, Part OF country, Not straining adrift to Examine & stand apart, & so, I write here Amongst friends, The sounds of The sitting room Food prepared, The birds the frogs A rabbit to be Air rifle shot & eaten People walkin & talkin & A sneeze The click tick Of finished oyster shells In the fireplace Chewing noises Pottery, Life in good Company Cooperation ...